Why would I get SMP when I could get a hair transplant?
Well well well. So many elements to this. Let's go!
A question I hear occasionally is- Why would I get scalp micropigmentation when I could get a hair transplant?
1) You may not have enough donor hair to have a successful transplant. And when I say successful I mean a transplant that gives you the perfect full head of hair you are wanting. If your recession is pretty far back then you have a huge area to cover with not much hair to donate. Check out the picture below.
2) It's costs A LOT of money with no guarantee. That's a pretty big risk. According to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) practice census, of men who’ve had hair transplants, 64% were disappointed with their hair density after their procedure.
3) You're going to need more than one procedure. A megagraft has a higher failure rate with huge loss of grafts- up to 90%. The newly transplanted hair needs room for proper nourishment. Crowding means that there isn't enough blood flow to keep the grafts alive. This also puts your native hair at risk for loss. To achieve more density you will have to do multiple procedures. This holds true for the FUT and FUE grafts.
4) A hair transplant will NOT stop you from losing more hair. You will need to use medication to stop further hair loss. Once you stop using the medications your hair loss continues. This can make your transplant have a "plug" look as the native hair thins and slowly disappears between the grafts.
Finasteride (DHT protector, pill – limited to a percentage of males)
Minoxidil (topical, hair growth cycle extender topical)
Hair Regeneration (stem cell catalyst, injection)
A lot of men do not like to take Finasteride due to long term sexual side effects.
5) It's INVASIVE! That right there can be a deal breaker even if it was 100% guaranteed. Not everyone is down for super invasive painful procedures.
What reasons would a client choose SMP INSTEAD of a transplant?
1) GUARANTEED RESULTS.
2) Minimal pain
3) Minimal downtime
4) Less costly with higher rates of satisfaction
5) No medications or creams to use indefinitely
Every client should weigh out the pros and cons of any method they plan on doing and decide which one is the BEST solution for them.